The place where there is a monastery called Old Vyshny fort. "Mound" was surrounded by an earthen rampart, the remains of which can be found in the western wall of the Holy Trinity Monastery. According to legend, this "settlement" was a fortified yard legendary Baptist Murom Prince Constantine, where he built the first wooden churches of the Annunciation and the Saints Boris and Gleb.
The question of the existence of Prince Constantine as a real historical person remains open. Some researchers believe it is completely fictional character, the other - Prince, do not fall into the extant written sources, and others identify Constantine with the grandson of Yaroslav the Wise, Prince Yaroslav Svyatoslavich Murom, who died in 1129
When Ivan the Terrible was in Murom, he prayed to Saint Constantine and his children Michael and Theodore, asking for help in the victory over the Kazan Khanate. The king gave his word that after the victory over Kazan to build on this site a stone church and a monastery of the Annunciation. Indeed, the monastery was set up, but the monastic buildings of that time until today have not been preserved.
In 1615, a detachment of Polish Pan Lisowski Annunciation Cathedral was destroyed, and "brother flogged and captured, burnt cells." From the Annunciation Church was only a basement. In the middle of the XVII century through the efforts of Murom merchant Tarasy Tsvetnova monastery church it was restored.
In Soviet times, the Annunciation Cathedral, in contrast to other temples of the city, not closed. In the cathedral many ancient revered icons, preserved carved gilded iconostasis of 1797 itself, "organizer" Tarasy Tsvetnov lived out his life in the Annunciation monastery monk named Tikhon. In Soviet times, after the war, passing camps and links, in 1945-1946., In the Annunciation Cathedral served as returned from the front with serious injuries monk Pimen, the future "Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia."
In September 1991, the revival of the Annunciation Monastery.
Bright attraction Annunciation Cathedral - Portal of the west wall, which dates back to earlier forms. It consists of a complex pattern of intertwined bundles, beads, balusters. Originally it was the main entrance to the church. Later, during the construction of the gallery, and tent porch portal was inside the building.
One of the first porches "at departure" (as defined by their I. Grabar) appeared in the porch of the Church of the Trinity in Nikitniki. And this technique is so fond of his contemporaries, that they have been widely used in the construction of its churches both in Moscow and in other cities. Among the significant amount of the XVII century porch porches Murom Annunciation Cathedral differs uniqueness and originality thanks to its paintings and sculptures.