From the square named after the 1100th anniversary of the city of Murom, the main street of the city starts ─ Moscow. She led in the direction of Moscow, which is why she got her name. The street was created at the end of the XVIII century. According to a new regular plan developed by the architect Ivan Lem and approved by Catherine II in 1788. Originally, the street was called Big Vladimirskaya. Currently, the street has its own historical name and is protected as a monument of the urban development of the XIX century.
Active development of the city according to the "regular plan" began after the fierce fires of 1792 and 1805, when the entire central part of Murom burned out. On the streets of Moscow appeared stone houses on exemplary projects of the best architects of Russia. In the provincial Vladimir, in the drafting commission, there were albums with facades and plans of buildings. The customer came "to the drawing room" - he chose the "façade" for money, and he was allowed to build. The high cost of stone houses, lack of material slowed the pace of development; By 1862 there were only twenty-two stone houses in Murom. Unfortunately, the first quarter of the Moskovskaya Street was repeatedly fired, so the buildings of the original building either did not survive, or were significantly rebuilt.
On the ground floors there were usually shops, pubs, restaurants (these functions have been preserved to the present day); The second floors were occupied by "furnished rooms", inns. In the Karatygin's house (Moscow, No. 5) for a while was a private female gymnasium AF. Finogenovoy, and in the house of the merchant D.L. Golubeva (Moscow, No. 13, now the Exhibition Center of the Museum) spacious halls of the second floor were leased to the Murom nobility for meetings and balls.