Church of the icon of Our Lady of Smolensk
The highest mountain in Murom is Skolkova. It is decorated with Smolensk or Novokozmodemyanskaya church. There are suggestions that on this hill in the IX-X centuries. Pagan festivals dedicated to the wires of winter were arranged. It is said that from this mountain a burning wheel - a symbol of the sun - was lowered. But, most likely, this name was given to the mountain by residents named Skolkova. This name is found in the ancient descriptions of the city. On the lower platform of the Skolkovo Mountain, "near the Oka River on the shore in Podoksteve", there is a small temple in honor of Saints Kozma and Demyan, healers and patrons of blacksmiths.
In the scribes of Murom in 1624 and 1636 under the Kozmodemyanskaya church, a small maiden monastery was mentioned. But already at the end of the XVII century the monastery is not mentioned, and the church is listed as a parish. With her there was a warm little wooden church in the name of the holy martyr Catherine. In 1804, the church burnt down, and instead of it a new stone church of the Smolensk Mother of God was set up on the mountain with a chapel of St. Catherine for the donations of the Murom merchant Mikhail Ivanovich Yelin and other merchants. Slender belfry of the Smolensk church, built in 1832-1838. At the expense of merchant Karp Timofeevich Kiselev, rises above the whole city, being the highest vertical in urban architecture.