Savior Transfiguration Monastery
The Transfiguration Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Russia. The first time in the pages of the chronicles, he was mentioned under 1096. This was the time of spreading and strengthening the Christian faith on Russian soil. Perhaps there was a fortified residence of the first Murom Prince Hleb.
In the XVI century the monastery was the center of the spiritual life of the city. The walls of the churches were decorated with icons of the best "Bogomaz" of Grozny time. There was a rich library here, the archives of the spiritual department were kept. Unfortunately, as a result of the events of the "Time of Troubles" and the revolutions, much has been lost. Some "monuments of antiquity" fell into private hands, some in the collection of the Murom Museum. In Soviet times, there was a military school on the monastery territory, and then a military unit. In 1995 the monastery was returned to the church, it is actively restored and equipped.
Near the cathedral there is a one-domed Church of the Intercession, built in 1691. Here, in a deep podklet, there is a shrine of the monastery and the city of Murom - the "tomb" of the legendary warrior defender Ilya Muromets with a part of his relics. In 2006, they were transferred from the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, where the true relics of St. Elijah of Murom are buried. The tomb always has a lot of people. Here you can bow to the hero, see his "portrait", performed by the scientific reconstruction of the sculptor-anthropologist S. Nikitin, to examine the bright murals that illustrate the "life" of Ilya Muromets.